Friday, June 10, 2011

Are My FiveFingers VFF"s Clean Yet ???



Stinky FiveFingers and Other Minimalist Footwear that we Love to Wear Barefoot?

I hear and see horror stories about the unbearable funk that follow some users like a nuclear mushroom over their heads and t heir feet…. God forbid when they take them off .... Run for your life !
I have to admit that, since my first pair back in 2005, I have never encountered such problem ever. I have taken some time to specially investigate the funk phenomenon at my lab using some of my friends' VFF's that have the issue haunting them. You sure do not want to wait till your partner ask you to spend the night on the back porch ... !
Here is the scoop:
Foot odor come from sweat, dead skin and the Corynebacteria and Micrococci bacteria;
A human foot, with it’s 250,000 sweat glands, during the course of a day can sweat up to 1/2 pint of liquids composed of the following ingredients: Fatty Acids, Urea, Sebum and many other organic compounds. Just add a little heat from your body a couple days of wear compounded by accumulating materials then you just made yourself the ultimate stink bomb. You just uncovered the bio-chemist in you ... !
When you wear regular shoes or sneakers with socks you don’t wear your same socks for an entire week… Socks absorb sweat & dead skin. When your wear VFF’s barefoot your footwear absorb sweat & dead skin. That needs to be washed or it will stink, sometimes very very bad, depending on the individual’s chemistry …..
I have these simple rules:

  • I wash my feet before I get in my VFF’s 
  • I apply  Crystal salts on my feet after a shower on hot days
  • I jump in the shower and clean-rinse my VFF’s (with a little sud from my body-wash) at the end of the day, then let them air dry wherever there is air circulation (be creative here, a window seal in summer no direct sun, near an air vent in winter no direct heat).
  • Every 2-3 days, depending on my daily activities My VFF’s will get a real wash in the machine and will air day as usual.
  • Always use lukewarm or cold water with regular laundry detergent when using a washing machine.
  • Always Dry my VFF"s away from the sun or heat sources and in a well ventilated area.
Never let you VFF"s go out of control. The more you wait, the more difficult it will be to get your VFF's clean again.

It all comes down to Basic hygiene; Prevention and a good maintenance regimen will give you years of fun times with your FiveFingers footwear. I am not a clean freak but since I was born with only 1 pair of feet and I hear that they are not replaceable I'd rather take good care of them and my footwear too.

Providing that you can stand socks, Injinji is a premier maker of sport toe socks & liners that works perfect with FiveFingers footwear. This solution works beautifully but if you choose not to wear socks then clean, clean clean.... repeat ... clean, clean, clean ...

There is also the issue with "hyperactive sweat glands";  a quick remedial is to spray a thin coat of antiperspirant  on the bottom of your feet.  This has worked very efficiently for our test subjects with that condition.

I also need to stress the fact that wearing dirty footwear without socks will drastically increase your risk in developing severe blistering caused by slippage.  (I also have an article on this topic in my blog here)

Among other we investigated the following products:



Is my Footwear Clean Yet ???

It wasn't easy but fun, it took some time and finally I have some very interesting results on a range of cleaning methods for out of control funk on FiveFingers.

The research work and all products & footwear used in the process were funded by myself, for the sheer benefit of my own curiosity.

Each product or recipe was graded as follow:

  • From 1 to 10 as 1 is the least efficient and 10 the most efficient
  • A $ represents the cheapest methods and $$$$$ the most expensive.Enjoy and give them a try


---PRODUCT---------------------------- Effectiveness--Cost per month
  • Lysol ---------------------------------------------- 6------ $
  • UV Light bacteria killer --------------------------- 7------ $$$$$
  • Mouthwash -------------------------------------------4------ $
  • Peroxide (H2O2) -------------------------------------7------ $
  • Vinegar / Water mix ---------------------------------7----- $
  • OxyClean ------------------------------------------- 8------ $$
  • Denture tablets -------------------------------------8------ $$$
  • Baking Soda pockets ---------------------------------9------ $$
  • Fabric Softener sheet -------------------------------8------ $
  • Sportzyme by Norwex ---------------------------------7------ $$$
  • SteriShoe™ shoe sanitizer -------------------------- 7------ $$$$$
  • Crystal Deodorant Salts -----------------------------10 ----- $

The research is based on the following:
  • 3 consecutive days of wear @ 12 hrs per day
  • same activities on each test pair
  • We used 6 pairs of KSO All black, Size 44
  • 1 shoe used for each test cleaning method
  • 1 shoe left out since the experiment requires 11 units

The VFF's were carefully cleaned and processed in the same manner; the cleaning process was followed by a 12 hrs drying period in a controlled environment consisting of a box 36x36x24 with the item placed on a stainless steel mesh shelf. 2 fans developing 15 cfm were used with a 25 watts incandescent light bulb, the temperature inside the container was at 77.5 Deg. F. Relative humidity was contained and kept constant at 30%.

A bacteria culture was conducted in an inert medium after the drying cycle was completed. Colonies count were conducted after 24 hrs of incubation.
My Thanks to 2 interns with keen olfactory senses for providing the human sniff of approval.

Analysis and results:



Some of the best results come the simplest ideas !
Take your daily shower with your footwear, when your are done, give em a quick rinse and let them dry in a cool ventilated area overnight.  Your favorite footwear will be ready for you, cleaned and bacteria free, ready to to take you to more fun places !  And every 3  days or so give them a good wash in the washing machine !  It's the most simple method and the quickest too !  On hot days I apply Crystal deodorants rock salts on sole of my feet right after my shower; these salts inhibit bacterial growth to nearly 100%.  That combination is the most efficient VFF's odor control to date.  Nothing else comes remotely close to this method.

I must say that OxyClean and the baking soda pockets were the most efficient of all the tryouts. OxyClean was used in the sink at 30% dilution with a soak in warm water for 5 minutes followed by a quick hand scrub then a rinse with clean water followed by air dry. OxyClean will not affect the colors of your footwear. It's formula Na2CO3•H2O2 is composed of sodium carbonate and peroxide. It is eco-friendly and nitrogen and phosphorus free.

The other systems that worked very well were a clean water rinse the dry the VFF"s with a Arm & Hammer softener sheet on the foot-bed (or the Baking Soda Pocket) and a regular dry period. (Other brands of softener sheets gave very poor results as in general it left a very unpleasant mixture of foot funk - flowers scent potpourri)

The denture tablets are interesting ..... Soak for 4 Hrs, wash in the machine, air dry .... The result is minty fresh VFF's providing that you have 6 to 8 hrs to fiddle with a cleaning process. For my own taste I'd rather clean in 10 minutes and enjoy a nice trail trek for the next 5 to 6 hrs. ... (There was still a lingering very mild smell of foot funk mixed with mint post clean-up)

The UV lights systems (SteriShoe and a couple of others) are interesting, cost more than $150.00 for the system. Yes, it will kill the bacteria causing stench but it will leave all the dead bodies on the insoles. You will still have to wash clean the accumulated dead gunk once every other week or you will be in a very slippery mess ....

Mouthwash, vinegar and peroxide do work well but will not kill everything and there will still be a pesky smell remaining.

Sportzyme and worked OK; it's an expensive product that I believe to be overpriced for its performance.

Lysol was very interesting, as it did removed the smell but the bacterias were mostly still active after treatment was applied. And I am told that there was a slippery feeling in the VFF's afterward.

For people with severe foot sweating,  a simple solution is to spray antiperspirant on your clean dry feet before donning your footwear.  It's simple and works great. No sweat, no stink !

I am sure that, as the time goes by, there will be new tricks used to clean your favorite footwear.

Then again, I must emphasize the following:

Never let you VFF"s go out of control. The more you wait, the more difficult it will be to get your VFF's clean again. 


Also, your VFF's will last much longer if you keep them clean. 
Keep in mind that sebum, sweat and other fatty acids are formidable enemies of rubber compounds and other synthetic textiles. 


It all comes down to Basic hygiene; Prevention and a good maintenance regimen will give you years of fun times with your FiveFingers footwear. I am not a clean freak but since I was born with only 1 pair of feet and I hear that they are not replaceable I'd rather take good care of them and my footwear too.

Providing that you can stand wearing socks, Injinji is a premier maker of sport toe socks & liners that works perfect with FiveFingers footwear. This solution works beautifully but if you choose not to wear socks then clean, clean clean.... repeat ... clean, clean, clean ...

Agent Orange Blossom

Keep on Trekking !

Notes:



Dirty minimalistic footwear can also cause nasty blisters;  here is the rundown on the topic
Blisters, Tips & Prevention

Tea Tree Oil appears to dissolve the glue on our test trails .. so, if you use the oil be very careful.
Info on Culture Media for the Growth of Bacteria
©2000 Kenneth Todar, University of Wisconins-Madison
This article is a follow-up to my previous entry on the same topic. If you haven't read it yet I highly recommend it; it's very informative, and can be found here
http://fivefingers-tips.blogspot.com/2011/06/stinky-fivefingers-why-and-fix.html
Lysol, OxyClean, Sportzyme, SteriShoe, Arm&Hammer are commercial branded products owned by their own Copyrights on which I have no claim.

31 comments:

  1. about how many scoops of OxyClean would you say you used to one gallon?

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1 scoop of OxyClean per gallon works the best

    ReplyDelete
  3. One other thing I found was a 1 hour with Tide (Original, HE) soak before a toss in the washing machine helps get rid of really bad odors, which I used to prep a pair of Sprints for sale that had 20 miles on them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What is a baking soda pocket and where do I get them? Would boxed baking soda work?

    ReplyDelete
  5. We put ours in the washing machine on delicate - but in a zip shut hosiery bag. Tide with Febreeze works well as does the arm and hammer with baking soda. The bag keeps the shoes from getting mangled by the washer. Then we air dry them on a clothesline outside. (Wife and I both wear KSOs)

    ReplyDelete
  6. For some reason, one of my cats likes to pee in my VFFs (I have 4 pairs). I use dish detergent--soak for a bit and then scrub by hand and air dry. I works great.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post! Thank you. After four years of wearing VFF I have settled into a routine of regular cleaning with a little bit of Hunter's Specialties Scent-A-Way Odorless Detergent scrubbed in with an old toothbrush, a run through the washer and then a soak in McNett MiraZyme Enzyme-Based Odor Eliminator. Works wonders.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Erm, what are "baking soda pockets?" Also, just to make sure I interpret this properly, with the A&H sheets, you put the sheet on the footbed during the drying process correct?

    And are these measure done in conjunction with usual machine wash care?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes please, I second the "what are baking soda pockets" question.

    Thanks for this, I just chuck mine in the wash every few wears and try to ignore the smell but want to try the baking soda trick out!

    ReplyDelete
  10. BioKleen's Bac Out is great for this and other stinky clean ups (use them on my cloth diapers, if a kid/ pet puke, poops, or pees on the floor) very gentle and works great!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. One trick used by rock climbers (which those shoes can get as bad as dead bodies) is to take some charcoal and put it in a bad, put the shoes on the charcoal, and seal up the bag for at least 24 hours. The charcoal takes away a lot of the smell. This won't cure it, but it may be a good daily routine to store your shoes overnight to help keep the smell down. I haven't tried it with my VFF, but I have done it with my climbing shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I guess I'm lucky in that my KSOs rarely smell beyond the usual rubber sole kind of whiff. I walk 3 miles in mine every day and usually wear them for the rest of the day. If I go through mud I rinse them in the sink, scrub them briefly with some hand soap, rinse well, then let them dry. I've had them for just about 2 months and have washed them three times. Maybe the funk has yet to start!

    ReplyDelete
  13. "Baking Soda Pockets" I need clarification too. Thx for the hard work on testing these methods!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I use these and they work great!http://www.dailygrommet.com/products/253-ever-bamboo-charcoal-deodorizer-for-closets-shoes-rooms-all-natural

    ReplyDelete
  15. I use a spray deoderant/antiperspirant on my feet/toes before putting on my VFFs to nip the sweat in the bud. Then all I have to do is rinse out the dead skin with the high-pressure setting on the garden hose. Without the pool of sweat to breed in, the bacteria don't get a good foothold in my VFF's. If they're REALLY bad, I'll hook the garden hose up to the Hot Water line for the washing machine and "pressure wash" them, using the jet setting, with a paste of dishsoap and baking soda. The hot water and high pressure DECIMATE the dead funk in the shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I powder my KSO's after use with a little bit of Dr. Scholl's foot powder and give it a good shake so it covers the whole foot-bed. It absorbs moisture and removes the funk. A simple cold wash cycle with regular detergent also does a very good job.

    ReplyDelete
  17. For those like me that don't read instructions carefully enough...never wash in hot water. It desroyed my footbeds. Nice lady at vibram politely admonished me and promptly replaced my 100mi +bikila ls's which was very nice.
    Thanks for the article! Will we ever find out what these mysterious baking soda packets are?

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm all about a toothbrush and any kind of soap. I will have to try the Oxyclean with the toothbrush!

    I've also been known to shower in mine, then take them off, soap them up, and scrub right before getting out!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great information. I usually just hand wash with Tide Liquid detergent and after they are dry I spray them with a Lysol Disinfectant Spray. So far I have had no issues but maybe I will try using the Oxyclean instead of Tide.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yeah put me down for the what the heck are baking soda pockets question too. Google has been no help.. Though living in NZ most of the brand name products won't be available here. Guess I'll just have to try a couple of teaspoons of good old fashioned baking soda in warm water and see what happens.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am a SCUBA diver, and found that soaking/washing with wetsuit shampoo is also very effective. I love my VFFs (I have 6 pair), but they do get kinda ripe...

    ReplyDelete
  22. Personally I wash my KSO Treks weekly by hand in a sinkful of water with a bar of ordinary Dove soap. I work up some suds in the water, quick rub the bar on the inside and outside of my VFFs, hand rub, and then rinse thoroughly and dry overnight. This has been very effective preventing odor. Besides, being the black Treks, they look much better after cleaning. Total cost is almost nothing since that's what I use for body soap anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Any tips on removing sand/grit embedded in the insole? Even with KSO/Treksport, I always to get sand/dirt into the shoe near my Achilles and don't have a chance to dump it out for a few miles of hiking. The washing machine seems ineffective :(
    It makes the insole appear brown and I can feel the grit if I rub it.

    -Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Penguin SportWash (small orange bottle) for me...developed to get rid of funk in polyester sports fabrics (enzyme-based cleaner). I throw them into the washing machine alone, use a quarter capful of SportWash, set machine to small load and wash delicate. Rinse and they are clean and stank-free.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi All,

    I'm not 100% what baking soda pockets are - but i am VERY big fan of Bicarbonate of Soda. It comes under many many names, baking soda is one :) i sprinkle that and rinse on anything that smells! (be very careful not to confuse with Baking Powder... not the same!!). Sodium bicarbonate or sodium hydrogen carbonate is what you need :) UK 50p in almost ANY corner shop! happy cleaning folks! :) . Emma

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow that was οdԁ. I juѕt wrote an eхtrеmеly long cοmment but after I clickеd submit mу сomment ԁidn't
    ѕhow up. Grrrr... well I'm not ωriting all that over аgain.
    Anyhow, juѕt wanted to say supегb
    blog!

    my hοmeρage ... Meble Tapicerowane

    ReplyDelete
  27. I use Arm & Hammer liquid detergent with OxyClean solution included. It's been working very well in keeping my VFF's and other running shoes smelling fresh.

    I was first hesitant in placing my footwear in the washer. It just got to the point that my Merrill's, VFF's, and a pair of regular Asics running sneakers smelled horrible. Plus, I noticed that my feet sweat and slipped around more in the Merrill's when the shoes has not been washed.

    ReplyDelete